Thursday

Why I Stick to My 'Ethnic Pack'

Some Freshman at my school was interviewed for an article in my school's newspaper, calling the massive collection of minority student, "Ethnic Packs". She said she felt intimidated by them and felt like she couldn't join the group if she wanted to. So I want to share my opinion on this matter and discuss why I feel intimidates to join their Pastey Packs.

Disclaimer: This ain't fa urrybady. Ebonics intended.

First of all, this entire school is a Pastey Pack. Of course minorities are going to gravitate to their own when they are surrounded by the unfamiliar. A lot of us have even TRIED to branch out but find it very difficult.

The Pastey Pack doesn't seem to understand why my hair smells a certain way when I straighten it, and why I don't wash it everyday.
Why I put oil IN my hair instead of trying to get it out.

The Pastey Pack doesn't seem to understand why I can't go out to Legal Seafoods every weekend, out to different concerts and every little event BC has to offer.

The Pastey Pack doesn't seem to understand why I've never been out of the country, or even off the east coast, why I can't go abroad or with them to Cancun Spring Break.

The Pastey Pack doesn't seem to understand why I can't wear leggings by themselves, afford the name brand hand bags and clothes.

My Ethnic Pack doesn't question these things. I'd feel intimidated approaching a Pastey Pack and constantly having to explain myself.

And you know what else,

I hate being approached, "Hey what's up DAWG" or "sup son" or "Mmm Mmm girl" from one of them when it is OBVIOUSLY out of their comfort zone. Do you think you have to speak to me that way because I'm black?

Or how about how one of the first topics of discussion is, "Can you teach me to shake my ass like a black girl?" or "How do YOU GUYS do that??"

Do you have to verify your 'blackness' when speaking to me, by bragging that you listen to 'black' music?? Or that you come from a rough town??.. "Yeah we had the worst crime rate... blah blah blah"

Maybe if you were YOURSELF.. than yes, You, as a Caucasian, could join our group.

I get sick and tired of the PLASTIC that comes from the Pastey Pack which is why I stick to my Ethnic Pack.

We keep it real.

I don't have time to explain myself.
I don't have time to be judged left and right.
I don't have time to listen to someone's impersonation of being black.

Give us a chance before you talk out ya neck.

2 people left me some shugga!:

Anonymous said...

i truthfully enjoy your writing style, very exciting.
don't quit and also keep writing as a result it simply truly worth to follow it.
impatient to look over more and more of your web content, thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Correctly your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you dispatch, intention look ahead for the duration of more cognate articles in a jiffy as its anecdote of my favourite topic to read.